There are kidney and bladder teas. Can I use these instead of a medicine to treat my bladder problems?

The teas are ideal for supplying the body with sufficient liquid. However, they are not suitable as the sole treatment for urinary tract diseases for several reasons: 1. In comparison to medication, the active ingredients contained in teas are of a very low dosage. In this low dosage, they have no measurable effect. 2. Medicines are manufactured according to very strict regulations and always contain consistent amounts of the active ingredient. This is ensured by strict controls both during cultivation and through defined harvest times of the plants containing the active ingredient, and also during the production of the medicine itself. Teas are subject to far fewer regulations and controls, their preparation varies (quantity of tea, water temperature, duration of preparation, etc.). Teas are not medicines and therefore not useful as a sole treatment.

My doctor advised me to drink a lot, up to 3 litres a day. I've tried, but it's very hard for me. Do you have any tips on how I can handle this amount?

A lot of people find it hard to drink a lot. The reason: many people are too busy, so they often ignore their thirst. The body responds to this by reducing the feeling of thirst and is content with less than it actually needs. Not only do the kidneys work less, the blood also becomes thicker. The best way to get used to drinking again is the following: Keep a bottle of water, for example, and a drinking glass in the places where you spend time every day or pass through (e.g., office, living room, car, etc.). And every time you pass one of the bottles, you drink some of it. After a short time you will notice that you are feeling thirstier again – drinking a lot becomes a matter of course.

What kind of doctor should I consult with my bladder problems? In the last few days, I have had to go much more frequently than usual and it burns unpleasantly.

It is best if you go to your GP first. He will quickly establish whether he can help you with his knowledge and experience. He will also decide which specialist to refer you to, if necessary – a urologist or gynaecologist. However, if you feel that the measures taken by your GP are not helping, insist on a referral to a urologist.

I went to my GP with bladder problems (frequent urination without much coming out, and cramps). But he couldn't find anything and sent me back home. Now I have become quite concerned, because my problems are still there (after 3 days). What should I do?

It is not uncommon for a doctor to find no physical causes for bladder problems. Nevertheless, the problems persist. This is because there can be a functional disorder in such cases. That means that each organ system involved is in good working order, but the coordination between them is disturbed. Medicines can also help with a coordination disorder. If you have any problems, you can try a medicine with the active ingredient goldenrod extract. This stimulates kidney activity. The resulting increase in urine flow often corrects an existing coordination disorder. However, if the symptoms persist or worsen, or if you develop a fever, please consult a doctor.